I can remember it now… the wonderful trials and tribulations of deciding where to go on my honeymoon. One day it would be New York with a cool off in Florida, the next it would be a two-week Icelandic road-trip. The world can suddenly seem like it is full of exciting opportunities just waiting for you around the corner.
I found that when you’re planning your honeymoon, it’s likely you’ll come across two deciding factors – cost and season.
Cost is fairly straight-forward, depending on your budget, you can either afford somewhere or not – including generous gifts provided by wedding guests. It was the seasonal aspect that threw me because there’s conflicting advice across the Internet, either via tourist boards, travel agents and forums. This meant I had to make sure my research was done diligently.
After doing so, I came up with a useful ‘seasonal honeymoon guide’, which I wanted to share with you!
- Mauritius – relax on picture-perfect shorelines, visit beautiful Hindu temples and go diving in coral-filled lagoons.
- Bali – treat yourselves to a luxury spa retreat, explore cultural Ubud and its surrounding vibrant green rice terraces.
- Hawaii – island hop from stargazing in Maui, to Kauai’s Napali Coast and finish at Big Island’s Volcanoes National Park.
- Kenya – spot the Big Five on the iconic Maasai Mara, take a hot air balloon ride at sunrise and relax in Mombasa.
- Mexico – play or relax on the Yucatan Peninsula, visit ancient ruins in Tulum and see the street art of Mexico City.
- Thailand – explore the bustling city of Bangkok with its many floating markets or island hop Koh Samui and Koh Lanta.
- Borneo – spot majestic Orang-utans, explore the Sukau rainforest and its wildlife or climb Mount Kinabalu.
- Las Vegas – walk down its infamous strip, fly over the Grand Canyon by helicopter or try being an Elvis impersonator.
- San Francisco – watch sea lions at Pier 39, spend a night on Alcatraz Island or cycle across the Golden Gate Bridge.
- Seychelles – island hop between the pristine shores of Mahe, Praslin and Silhouette National Park for a natural getaway.
- Australia – climb Sydney Harbour Bridge if you’re brave enough, visit the Opera House or relax in Darling Harbour.
- Fiji – spot manta rays with a morning snorkel, experience a traditional Fijian evening with fire eaters and local cuisine.
- New York – pound the streets of the ‘Big Apple’, climb the Empire State Building or shop ’til you drop.
- Barbados – take in a Caribbean festival like Crop Over, explore historic Bridgetown or take a turtle watching tour.
- Vietnam – cruise Halong Bay on a traditional junk or kayak along the shorelines of Danang before doing sunset yoga.
- Maldives – relax on some of the Indian Ocean’s finest sands, enjoy sumptuous spa treatments and dine under the stars.
- Cuba – ride a vintage car in Havana, learn how to salsa with the locals or enjoy endless Mojitos on the coast of Varadero.
- Brazil – take in the panoramic views from Christ the Redeemer or explore the wetlands surrounding Iguacu Falls.
- Venice – tour the Grand Canal on a romantic gondola trip, dine on St. Mark’s Square and visit colourful Burano.
- Sri Lanka – spot Leopards in Yala National Park, take in the country’s Cultural Triangle then wind down in Bentota.
Let us know in the comments where you’re thinking of going on honeymoon – we can’t wait to see your ideas!
If you’re looking for further honeymoon inspiration, Destination2 have an incredible range of destinations. Visit the site.
This article was written in partnership with Destination2.