Here’s a cream-free take on the wonderfully simple Italian dish carbonara. I’ve never been a fan of cream-based meals, so I only discovered how delicious carbonara can be when I was passed on this recipe by one of my other half’s Italian relatives! Â This is also a great option when you’re looking for something quick and filling as this only takes 10-15 mins to make! This recipe should feed two hungry people.
Spaghetti (I do a handful per person)
4 garlic cloves
one medium onion
150 ml white wine
Dash of olive oil
How to make cream-free carbonara
- Finely cut up your onion and garlic so you’re ready to go then boil up your saucepan of water then pop in the spaghetti and set your timer for 10 minutes.
- Grab a small frying pan, pop in a dash of olive oil and let it gently heat up. Throw in the pancetta then after a minute or so add the onion, garlic and a third of the white wine.
- While this cooks away, break five eggs Â – put the whole of one into a jug, and add the yolks from the other four. Season with salt and pepper and grate in as much or little parmesan as you like, then give it a good whisk.
- Every couple of minutes check on your pancetta and add a bit more white wine as it boils down. Keep on a low heat, adding wine when necessary. When thoroughly cooked turn of the heat and set aside.
- When the timer goes off, grab two teaspoons of water from the pan and throw into your jug with the eggs and give another whisk.
- Drain the water from the spaghetti then pop back in the saucepan and stir in the eggs – the heat from the spaghetti cooks the egg!
- Lastly fold in the pancetta mixture and you’re done!
- If you wish grate a little parmesan over the top, then serve with a fresh rocket salad or garlic bread for a quick and easy filling italian pasta dish!